Word of The Hour: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Word of The Hour?
Word of The Hour is a platform spread across many different apps and social media pages. Every hour, it features a new vocabulary word along with translations into 10+ languages.
Does Word of The Hour really help language learners?
Yes, it can be a helpful supplement to your regular language learning activities. Here are some things that users have said:
- "I think your initiative is very good, and I for one am totally for any idea that can incentivise people to learn."
- "Thank you so much for this. I downloaded the app and it is helping me immensely. I am trying to learn Portuguese but already speak Spanish. Seeing the words together are helping me to relate them ("oh, ok, so that is the same") or realize they are vastly different and make me memorize. Thanks again!"
- "Thanks for your consistency in educating me on new words!"
Please keep in mind that Word of The Hour is the bare minimum to motivate you to learn new words. Our translations are sometimes good, often alright, but quite frequently bad! If you particularly like a word, you should look it up on your preferred search engine to learn more information and find translations for different contexts and scenarios.
How can I subscribe?
Most of our community members subscribe to Word of The Hour on Reddit. Take a look here to subscribe: https://www.reddit.com/r/Word_of_The_Hour.
Where do translations come from?
Many of our translations are crowdsourced by our wonderful community members on Reddit. We have crowdsourced over 28,000+ translations. Translations are entered by community members in Google Sheets. Each language has its own Google Sheet. See here for more info: https://wordofthehour.org/translations.
How to request a new language?
Contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. A Google Sheet will be created for the new language. Once over 50% of the translations are successfully crowdsourced, then we will add the new language to the Word of The Hour feed. Thank you!
Are words ever repeated?
Yes, we run on a cycle of about 100 days. That means that after 100 days, you will see words start to repeat. We repeat words because you need to see a word multiple times to learn it. Also, we repeat words because corrections and improvements may have been added. When our data improves, your learning improves.
Are there ever mistakes, errors, or typos?
Yes, there are many mistakes, errors, and typos. We encourage you to enter corrections in the Google Sheets found here: https://wordofthehour.org/translations. It's important to keep in mind that word to word translations are not perfect. We rely on our community to help fill in gaps and add additional information.
How can I help?
You can help with any of the following:
- Help us crowdsource translations: https://wordofthehour.org/translations.
- Fill in our annual survey: https://wordofthehour.org/survey.
- Share Word of The Hour with a friend: https://wordofthehour.org.
Any help is greatly appreciated! You can also contact us via email: email@example.com. Thank you!
Do you have more questions?
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us with any questions or feedback. We greatly appreciate it!